Learn how to clean your house in 30 minutes – these house cleaning tips help you clean in 30 minutes or less! Perfect for those unexpected guests or when you don’t want to spend all day cleaning!
I like keeping my house clean, tidy, and in order, but let’s be honest here – with a messy boyfriend and limited time, things can go from “Home Beautiful” to chaotic in a matter of minutes – socks scattered over the floor, crumbled Goldfish crackers between the couch cushions, wet towels on the carpet… you get the idea 😀
Ok, perhaps I exaggerate just a bit, but if you’ve got kids I’m sure all of the above is a daily occurrence!
I don’t mind things not looking perfect – it’s impossible to not have that “lived in” look when you live there – but when company is coming, I do like it to look organized and clean. Every now and then I’ll get a phone call from the boyfriend – “so and so is popping over real quick after work.”
In a perfect world, we’d have plenty of advance notice so I can do a full clean and tidy up, but we don’t live in a perfect world. So how do you make your house look presentable in under 30 minutes?
The key is to focus on completing tasks that will have the biggest visual impact. We’re not talking about scrubbing the grout in the shower or dusting the ceiling fan blades (unless the dust is 5 inches thick and you’re planning on turning the fan on – haha!) You want to focus on things that people will actually notice when they walk in the door.
No-one is going to be looking at the crown molding to see if there’s any dust on it, but people will notice when Goldfish crackers crumble as they sit down on the couch.
How to clean your house in 30 minutes
These easy tips will help you clean your house in 30 minutes before any guests arrive. It’s also a great way to do a quick tidy-up so you feel better in your own home (even if no one is coming). The below links are paid links.
Make Your House Smell Good (2 minutes)
1. First, light a scented candle to make your home smell inviting. I love these wood-wick candles – not only do they smell amazing, they make a crackling sound while burning that sounds like a tiny wood fireplace.
2. You can also use an essential oil diffuser to make a room smell incredible and give it a sense of peace and calm. These are some of my favorite scents:
3. You can light incense to help your house smell better. However, note that incense can be strong and overpowering. I recommended letting it burn for 15 minutes, then putting it out before your guests arrive. The scent will stay, but won’t be too overpowering when they arrive. Here are some of my favorite lighter scents:
I don’t recommend lighting it in a small room unless you only do it for a minute. I like this beautiful brass incense burner.
4. Simmer potpourri on the stove. Throw a handful in with some water and bring it to a light simmer. I like this because you can save it and use it again the next day also! Here are some great potpourri scents:
You can also learn how to make your own potpourri.
Tidy the Main Living Area (5 minutes)
This is likely where your guests (and you) will be spending time, so it’s best to get this area tidied up quickly. This would include the bathroom your guests will be using.
- Straighten up the couch cushions and any throws or pillows you may have strewn about.
- Put toys into a toy basket or put them away in the kid’s rooms or playroom.
- Fold and put away blankets.
- Remove clutter from side tables and organize the table(s) to look neat and clean.
Clean the Surfaces (5 minutes)
Now I don’t mean you have to wipe everything down. Let’s be realistic, you don’t need to clean your door jams or ceiling fans right now, just major surfaces. Use any type of store bought cleaner, plain old water if it’s not too dirty, or make your own cleaner (I like this option the best!).
- Wipe down the kitchen and bathroom countertops.
- Wipe down the stove top and microwave.
- Wipe the coffee table and side tables, mantle, TV stand, etc.
Clean Up Dirty Dishes (5 minutes)
Whether you move them to a sink filled with soapy water (it’s ok, they’ll be mostly out of sight this way) or just put them in the dishwasher, they just need to be out of sight. Clean up the counters around the sink as well.
Clean the Floors (10 minutes)
I’m not talking scrubbing and making them perfect. Just run a quick vacuum to vacuum up any crumbs and dirt on the rugs or carpet in the main living areas.
**Note – if you have a dog and there is urine smell in the carpet, try these tips for removing dog urine odor out of carpets.
For the hard surface floors, the boyfriend and I have found this awesome mop that work wonders and is quick and easy to use. No more changing your Swiffer pad a million times while you scrub the floor. This mop has a microfiber mop head that can just be machine washed too. Talk about easy.
Open Blinds and/or Windows (3 minutes)
If it’s daytime, opening the blinds helps to open up the house and make it feel brighter and larger. If it’s a nice day, open windows can really make your house feel bright and airy.
If it’s evening, use lamps or dimmer lights instead of harsh overhead lights. It’ll make your house feel more homey and comfortable.
Now make yourself a cup of tea, sit on the couch, and relax. Enjoy your clean house and/or impress your guests with how tidy it is!
What do you do when you need to clean house quickly? Do these tips help? Do you have some of your own? Leave a comment below and let me know!