A complete review of Farmbox Direct so you can decide whether this produce delivery service is worth it. I’ll share with you my personal experience to help you decide!
This post has been sponsored by Farmbox Direct. All opinions are 100% my own.
I started having my groceries delivered a couple years ago and I don’t think I can ever go back to the way things were. Whether you are ultra busy or just hate going to the store, getting your groceries delivered is so convenient.
For my regular weekly groceries, I have been using Instacart and getting my groceries from Albertsons. I love doing this for the most part, but find the produce many times is lacking.
I know this is in part because the grocery store is a smaller store and doesn’t always have the highest quality produce AND the grocery delivery people don’t always pick the best produce.
There are always pros and cons for having someone else do your tasks for you – no one will ever do it exactly the way you want it.
That said, I wanted to get some better produce than I was getting, so I tried out this company called Farmbox Direct.
What is Farmbox Direct?
Farmbox Direct is a produce delivery service that delivers fresh (organic if you choose) in season produce right to your door.
The produce is shipped in boxes on a weekly basis (or bi weekly) with enough produce for about a week. You can also just buy a one-off box to try if you’d like.
Many of their boxes are organic, but you can get a “natural” box as well if you’re looking to spend a little less money.
Now I know I talk about frugality a lot on this site, but I also talk a lot about health. I think it’s important to have a good balance between being frugal and eating healthy, wholesome meals.
You can also learn how to shop for healthy groceries on a budget.
That’s where Farmbox comes in. The idea is really simple – once a week you get an order of produce (fruits and veggies depending on the box you order) that you can select.
You have a menu of produce (it’s seasonal, so the menu contains the produce that’s currently in season to ensure you’re getting the freshest produce) you can select from for your box. You can choose to have just fruit, just vegetables, or both.
Once you have selected your box and the items you want in each box, it will be shipped out to you in a temperature controlled box.
My Experience with Farmbox Direct
I want to start by saying I am now in love with this company. My frugal side pushed back a little bit as it’s hard for me to spend more than grocery store prices on produce.
HOWEVER, the produce was such great quality, it was totally worth it. I am definitely ordering more boxes as I was very happy with the experience.
The box comes packaged in fully biodegradable material and reusable gel ice packs. I got the Only Organic Medium Box and LOVED it. This is what it came with:
- 3 russet potatoes
- 1 bunch carrots
- 2 bunches brussels sprouts
- 1 bag cranberries
- 1 purple sweet potato
- 1 bunch green beans
- 3 pears
- 3 gala apples
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 lemons
And everything was very tasty and high quality. The boyfriend and I are both very picky about our fruit. We eat a lot of fresh grown fruit, so I typically hate to buy grocery store fruit as the quality isn’t as good.
But the Farmbox Direct fruit was very tasty. It was fresh and juicy and had lots of flavor.
I immediately decided to cook up a bunch of vegetables for the week (and for a little Sunday afternoon snack) to help with meal planning. I made some of the following:
- I cooked the purple sweet potato in the Instant Pot for about 50 minutes (it was a HUGE potato) and it was so delicious! (why every family needs an Instant Pot)
- I roasted the carrots and 1 bunch of the brussels sprouts in a honey and harissa glaze (inspired by these roasted sweet potato slices).
- I sautéed the rest of the brussels sprouts in some butter, chili powder and lemon juice and added the red bell pepper in as well.
- I used some of the cranberries to make a cranberry vinegar with rice wine vinegar, fresh basil leaves and ginger. Can’t wait to see how this turns out!
We just ate the pears and apples as snacks. It was very fun and exciting to come up with ways to cook these seasonal veggies.
What I love about this box is it comes with vegetables and fruit you may not eat on a regular basis. It challenges you to come up with new ideas.
For instance, I’ve never cooked a purple sweet potato before and it probably would have taken me a long time (if ever) to try one!
Pros and Cons
Now let’s get into the nitty gritty of this produce subscription box.
– It’s a huge time saver. Not having to get in the car, drive to the grocery store, and wander around trying to find the things on your list is just a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. And I’m a huge proponent of spending your time wisely. I’d rather be working on my side hustle or the blog I started to make some money than drive to the grocery store
– While it may seem expensive, it could actually save you money depending on what type of shopper you are. If you like to pick up a bunch of random things at the store that aren’t on your list, buying groceries online can keep you from doing that.
– It gives you the opportunity to support local farmers, which I love also. I would much prefer to buy from small local farmers (I like to buy my meat from good sources as well).
– You can be creative with your meals and learn to try some new produce (remember you can always head to my other site, Went Here 8 This for some recipe ideas).
– You will still have to go to the grocery store (or have your groceries delivered) to get other things you need.
– It can be more expensive than shopping at the grocery store, depending on your shopping habits.
Honestly, I don’t have a lot of cons as I really do love this service. As a food lover, getting fresh, high quality produce is a must.
If you want to learn a little more about Farmbox Direct, head over to their website. I personally love the service they provide, but try it out for yourself. You might also be interested in places to find farm fresh meat!
If you tried it, comment below and let me know what you think!