Growing up in Australia, pop tarts weren’t a breakfast staple. Our breakfast usually consisted of a soft-boiled egg with buttered toast, a couple of Weetbix with butter and vegemite (still one of my favorite things to have for breakfast!) or a spinach and cheese mini quiche.
My husband, on the other hand, grew up eating pop tarts on the regular. S’mores was “hands down” his favorite, but he was also partial to the odd strawberry pop tart.
We try to keep things relatively healthy around here so instead of making a trip to the store I thought it’d be fun to make home made gluten free pop tarts at home.
My 3-year-old son has recently developed an interest in helping me in the kitchen, so I knew making pop tarts would be a treat for him.
After all, what American kid doesn’t love a pop tart?
These gluten free pop tarts are easy to make, were a big hit with the entire family and a great, healthier alternative to store bought pop tarts.
Gluten Free Strawberry Pop Tarts
Makes 16 pop tarts
For the Crust:
- 2 ½ cups gluten free baking flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- ¾ cup strawberry preserves
For the Frosting:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond milk
- Sprinkles (optional)
How to Make a Gluten Free Pop Tart Crust:
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and butter in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until the dough forms a coarse meal. Add the cold water and pulse until the dough starts to come together.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and form the dough into two discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to rest for around 10 minutes. Flour a clean work surface and roll the dough until 1/8th inch thick. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out 32 circles of dough.
How to Make a Strawberry Pop Tart Filling:
- Combine cornstarch and water in a saucepan and stir to mix.
- Add the strawberry preserves.
- Cook over medium heat, until it starts to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
How to Assemble Homemade Pop Tarts:
- Place 16 dough circles on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spoon a tablespoon of filling onto each dough circle.
- Use a toothpick to poke vent holes in the remaining dough circles and place each circle on top of the filling. Press a fork around the edge of each pop tart to seal.
- Whisk together the egg and milk and brush the mixture on top of each pop tart.
- Place the pop tarts in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the chilled pop tarts for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pop tarts from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Stir the almond milk and powdered sugar until the sugar has completely dissolved
- Carefully spoon over frosting over each pop tart
- When the frosting has set slightly, add some sprinkles (optional)
For this particular recipe, I used strawberry preserves for the filling. If you prefer, you could substitute the strawberry preserves for a different flavor – some good options would be cherry, raspberry, peach, blueberry or apricot.